Monday, February 7, 2011

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

I was in Philly once.  I didn't eat a cheese steak.  I don't know why.  Oh, yes I do.  Its because I drove right through without stopping.  Dumb move.  Next time I'm in Philly, I'll eat a cheese steak.  Until then, I'll just make one of these.  Unless anyone knows where to get a good cheese steak around here?

I used london broil cause that's what I had.  I think a thick rib eye is the preferred cut of cheese steak enthusiasts, but don't quote me on that. 

I sliced it against the grain as thin as I could.

And placed it in a crock pot with about 2 cups of beef broth (the powdered bullion kind).  Then I set it to 'low' for about 8 hours.

When you're ready for it, toast some buttered sandwich rolls on the grill.
Then set those to the side while you slice up some green bell peppers and onions.
Add some oil to the grill (or a large skillet) and drop the veggies right on top.

Stir them around for about 10 minutes, or until they start to get soft and flimsy.  Don't be afraid to put a little char on them.

Open up one of the toasted rolls and pile some of the juicy meat on top. 

Then add some of the grilled peppers and onions.

Add lastly, put the 'cheese' on your cheese steak.  Some thick provolone will do nicely. 

You have a few options about what to do next.  You can simply slap the other half of the bun on top and commence to scarfing, or you can take a little extra time to melt the cheese so that it gets nice and gooey, and melty, and falls into every crevice of the meat. 

I melted mine.  You can do this by putting the sandwich into the microwave for about 30 seconds or under the broiler for about the same amount of time.  I went with the microwave.  Cause that's the kind of girl I am. 

Then I ate it. 

Make this sometime!

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
2 lbs lean beef (I used london broil)
4 sandwich rolls
1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 yellow or white onion, sliced into strips
4 slices of provolone cheese

makes 4 sandwiches

3 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I like red bells and jalapeno slices with mild cheddar cheese sauce on mine with seasoned home fries on the side! yours look yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I have the butcher shred deli roastbeef too for the meat and cook it in beef both with lots of garlic and then melt jack n pepper cheese over it on hoagie buns, good that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the garlic and pepperjack idea. I'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete