Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tequila Lime Shrimp Tacos

When I say tequila, I mean it.  It really comes through in this recipe.  If you've ever had a bad tequila experience (and if you have, then you know the kind I'm talking about...) and you haven't quite gotten over it, then you might exercise some caution while reading this post.  Or just walk away.  Its okay.  I understand. 
I was kinda on a taco kick for a while.  I think we had tacos for dinner four times the week I made these.  Not the same kind of tacos, though, all different kinds.  There were fish tacos, carne asada tacos, two kinds of shrimp tacos, and a whole lotta beans and rice.  I think beans and rice are the perfect foods.  They go together so well, they're filling and nutritious, and my kids would totally eat them everyday. 

To make these tacos you will need to make a marinade for the shrimp.  It includes garlic and cilantro,
 lime juice,
red chili flake,

TEQUILA (any kind you like),

and a dash of salt. 

Pulse this together in the food processor and pour it over your cleaned and deshelled shrimp.  I like to do this in a large plastic storage bag.

These shrimp were raw when I put them in the bag.  Something about the acidity of the lime juice turns them pink. 

Let these marinate for a good hour before you cook them.  They will really absorb all that tequila lime flavor.  When you're ready to cook, you have several options.  I think skewering and grilling them would be a great way to go, but you could also throw them in the oven for a few minutes.  I was pressed for time and had run out of charcoal for my grill, so I just sauteed them on the stove top.  Turned out just fine! 
I put them in the skillet, put the lid on top, and let them cook for about five minutes without disturbing them much, except to shake the pan every couple of minutes.   While they cooked, I made a sauce to drizzle over my shrimp.  Its a very simple recipe that you can use as a basic seafood taco sauce or you can add other flavors to suit your taste.
Start with some plain yogurt,
stir in some lime juice,

add in a little salt,

and a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.

Stir it together until its nice and smooth.  No lumps here.

If you want a richer sauce, you could stir in some mayo, or some sour cream if you like the tang.  You could add some cumin for a smoky flavor, or some dill to cool it down.  There are lots of ways you could go with this!

Heat up some corn tortillas and fill them up with the shrimp, drizzle on some sauce, and add whatever greens or veggies you like.  I used a little salad mix I already had in the fridge.  There was Romain, iceberg, carrots, and shredded broccoli in it.  I added some cilantro, too. 

Serve this with some rice and beans and a tall frosty margarita!  Good stuff!

Tequila Lime Shrimp Tacos Recipe
for the marinade:
2 sprigs of fresh cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. red pepper flake
1 shot of tequila

Add all ingredients to the food processor and pulse until smooth.  Pour over raw shrimp and marinate for 1 hour.  Cook shrimp by whatever method you like (grill, bake, or saute) until they are thoroughly pink. 

for the seafood taco sauce: 
3 tbsp. plain yogurt
2 tsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 dashes hot sauce (or more if you like the heat)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth.

1 comment:

  1. How much lime juice did you use in the marinade? It doesn't say.

    ReplyDelete