Monday, February 28, 2011

Blueberry Cinnamon French Toast Casserole

This is an easy make ahead recipe that would be perfect for a brunch or special occasion breakfast.  You make it the night before so there's no need to wake up at the crack of dawn to start cooking.  I like that.  More sleep = happy Heather. 

Start with some day old french bread.  I happened to have half a loaf that I made before a busy weekend of birthday parties, errands, and various running around.  We weren't home to eat it, otherwise it wouldn't have been there.  French bread doesn't last long around here. 

Tear it up into bite sized chunks.
Set that to the side and retrieve a large bowl.  Into it, add eggs and milk,

some sugar,
vanilla,

cinnamon,

and a pinch of salt.

Whisk this all together...
and add the bread chunks.
Toss the bread in the mixture until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Grease a baking pan (very well) and add half of the bread mixture.

Sprinkle on some blueberries (I used frozen),

and top with the remaining bread mixture.

Cover this tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight.  The bread will continue to drink up all that moisture and become infused with all that cinnamon goodness.

In the morning, preheat your oven to 350 and allow the french toast to sit on the counter top for 15-20 minutes to take some of the chill off before heading into the oven.  Remove the plastic wrap (duh) and place the dish in the oven while you go take a shower.

Thirty to forty minutes later, you will have this splendid breakfast waiting for you.
Grab the biggest spoon you can find and scoop some onto a large plate.  Drizzle with some warm maple syrup and enjoy!
I can think of so many variations of this recipe - you could substitute the blueberries with any fruit or jam you like - peaches would be wonderful.  I might leave out the fruit and cinnamon next time and add some chopped bacon bits to the mix... *swoon*... I love bacon.  Make it your own!

Blueberry Cinnamon French Toast Casserole Recipe
1/2 loaf day old french bread
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. blueberries

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Tear bread into bite sized pieces and add to the egg mixture.  Toss bread in egg mixture to absorb the liquid.  Transfer half the bread to a well-greased baking dish.  Sprinkle with blueberries and top with the remaining bread.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  In the morning, bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, depending on how dark and crispy you like the top.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! I have broken down and decided to get back into the kitchen for this recipe. Not only does it look yummy but I read the words, "easy make ahead." With two kids, under the age of three, I need easy recipes that I can make ahead...preferably, when they are sleeping and not standing on or trying to flush something down the toilet. My first attempt is sitting in the refrigerator soaking up the juices. I hope I haven't screwed it up. If I haven't, I plan on taking a picture and posting it on FB. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete