Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fresh Tomato and Mozzarella Salad

All this warm weather has had me wanting for summer foods.  So I did the best I could with my winter ingredients and tried to indulge myself.  It worked. 

Start with a few ripe tomatoes and give them a nice, rough chop.

Combine these with some fresh mozzarella pearls. 

Aren't they cute?

Also, please don't try to steal my identity.  Apparently, I have deep ridges.  Sheesh.

Now, normally, I would use fresh basil, but being that its January and there isn't a leaf of basil to be found (not to mention there's some sort of 'great basil disappearance' happening right now), I had to use the dried stuff. 

Add some olive oil...

Some red wine vinegar...

and some salt.

I like to put all the ingredients into a large plastic storage container with a tight fitting lid...

...so I can pick it up and shake the heck out of it!  What a great way to alleviate some of the day's frustrations!

Let this marinate in the fridge for at least two hours. 

There are so many things you can do with this.  You can eat it straight out of the container with a big ole spoon, put it on top of some crusty bread to sop up all of the dressing, use it to top some fresh salad greens, stir it into some pasta... oh, the possibilities!

This is good stuff, people!

Fresh Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped
8 oz fresh mozzarella pearls
1 teaspoon dried basil OR 2  tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
1/2 c. olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

Optional ingredients:
1/4 c chopped red onions
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 c. chopped olives (any varitey)

or substitute mozzarella for blue cheese crumbles or feta cheese

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.  Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment